Saturday, August 18, 2012

ILL COMMUNICATION, OR HOW HAIR OVERSHADOWED THE GOLD

So the latest Crowdtap party was VERY interesting!  We were asked to watch "Totally Biased" hosted by W. Kamau Bell.  At first I was REALLY interested to see what his special was all about.  After all, his show is produced by Chris Rock, and I LOVE Chris Rock's comedy...although I HATE how foul mouthed he is (and LOVED that Kamau calls him "foul mouthed yoda", ahha, it's SO true!).  I listened to the pre-show stuff for Kamau, and I thought he was really pretty fair.  He does come from more of the African American standpoint, uh, duh, obviously, as I would come from more of the Caucasian American standpoint.  I thought it was going to be a stance I couldn't quite understand.  I'm not black, but, as the standard white people line goes, "I have black friends."  I don't understand what it's like to walk in ANYONE'S shoes, but I REALLY can't imagine what it's like to walk in the shoes of a person of color.  Racism, reverse or otherwise, is such a disgrace and uneducated way to act (I really want to say a lot more here, but I'll be nice).  Anyway, I recorded the show and had some girls over the next night (Friday night was way better than Thursday!).  We had some drinks and food, and chatted before we watched the show.  It was a really intimate group, and I reserved the photos for the "hair discussion" (Kamau started off with an introduction about Gabby Douglas and how her hair not being "done" for the Olympics was a major topic on twitter) we had after the show since we, as women, started focusing more on female issues rather than race issues.  The "Gabby intro" led us to discuss more things female rather than racial.  To be fair, Tiffany was the only woman of color at the party, and her insight was VERY interesting.  We even discussed how it's much different to talk to your close friends and really open up versus a party like this where not everyone knew each other.  My cousin may be DATING a black guy, but it's obviously not the same as being a black woman.  I found the conversation being led a little more towards the issue of being a female instead of race.  Maybe the conversation would have gone a different way if I could have been in a group of African American women, but been more of a fly on the wall.  Maybe the conversation would have gone different if it was all white women, and none of them were in an interracial relationship.  The show itself, however, lent itself to being able to discuss a LOT of different things (fromSheik to Sikh to Shaq to Shake Shack...the guy's a genius, haha), but, women being what we are, we chose to bond over the issues we have being women...not over the color of our skin...or the style of our hair!
Tiffany showing off her "natural" hair (no relaxers or perms or chemicals)
Ashley and Nicole showing off their "not natural" hair, both have color and Nicole (on the left) has a keratin treatment. 












We really DID have a great time, and, in a way, I'm glad we steered clear of anything that would have gotten too heated.  When the Obama discussion started, and Chris shared his "Obama/Brad Pitt" comparison, we all literally laughed out loud.  We thought it was a GREAT comparison.  But we decided to leave the totally biased comedy to Kamau, and leave our new found friendships in tact.  We did all voice our opinions, or at least scratched the surface of them, but we decided that, with this mixed group, we'd be totally polite.  We're women, what can we say???  It's one of our issues, and the female topic is the one we decided to remain totally biased on!

No comments:

Post a Comment